Can I apply for SASSA child grant without birth certificate?

The Children’s Institute and the Legal Resources Centre, with the support of Sassa, have developed a guide to help parents and caregivers without Home Affairs documentation to understand the grant application process and to navigate the barriers to access.

What you should do

  1. Go to the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) office nearest to where you live and bring the following:
    • your 13 digit-bar-coded identity document (ID) and the child’s birth certificate. If you don’t have an ID or the child’s birth certificate:
      • you must complete an affidavit in a standard SASSA format in the presence of a Commissioner of Oaths who is not a SASSA official.
      • Bring the following documents:
        • a sworn statement by a reputable person (e.g. councillor, traditional leader, social worker, minister of religion) who knows the applicant and child
        • proof that you have applied for an ID and/or birth certificate at the Department of Home Affairs
        • a temporary ID issued by the Department of Home Affairs (if applicable)
        • baptismal certificate if available
        • road to health clinic card if available
        • school report if available.
    • Proof of any maintenance you receive for the child.
    • Proof of your earnings.
    • Your marriage certificate (if applicable).
    • If you are divorced, the court order saying that you have custody of the child.
    • If one or both parents are dead or missing, the death certificate of the deceased or proof that the parent is missing, e.g. a missing person’s report from the police.
  2. Complete the application form in the presence of the SASSA official (note that only you as the applicant or a SASSA official may complete the application form).
  3. You will be given a receipt. Keep it as proof that you applied.
See also  Is there SASSA pension increase?

What if your application is not approved?

If your application is not approved, SASSA will inform you in writing why your application was unsuccessful.

If you disagree with the decision, you can appeal to the Minister of Social Development at the national office of the Department of Social Development. You must appeal within 90 days of being notified that your application was unsuccessful.

How long does it take

  • It may take up to three months to process your application.
  • If your grant is approved, you will be paid from the date on which you applied.

How much does it cost

The service is free.

Forms to complete

Application forms are not available online, but you can get them from your nearest (SASSA) office.

Who to contact

South African Social Security Agency (SASSA)