Can I go to university with N6 certificate?

Yes, you can transition to university studies with an N6 certificate, but there are important considerations and steps involved. An N6 Certificate, after completing the necessary work experience, is upgraded to a National Diploma, recognized as an NQF Level 6 qualification. This qualification is obtained after you have successfully completed 18 months of work experience that is approved by the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET), along with your academic coursework, accumulating 360 credits in total—180 from practicals and another 180 from work experience.

While universities have the autonomy to set their own specific admission requirements for different qualifications and programs, it is generally possible to pursue further studies at a university of technology or a traditional university with a National Diploma. However, for those aiming to enter university directly after obtaining their N6 qualification, it’s crucial to understand the standard university admission requirements:

  • National Senior Certificate (NSC) Requirements: Most universities require an NSC, certified by Umalusi, with a minimum achievement rating of 4 (50-59%) in four subjects chosen from the recognized 20-credit NSC subjects. These subjects include Accounting, Agricultural Sciences, Business Studies, Dramatic Arts, Economics, Engineering Graphics and Design, Geography, History, Consumer Studies, Information Technology, Languages (including one language of learning and teaching at a higher education institution and two other recognized language subjects), Life Sciences, Mathematics, Mathematical Literacy, Music, Physical Sciences, Religion Studies, and Visual Arts.
  • Designated NSC Subjects: Achieving satisfactory marks in four designated NSC subjects is the primary basis for admission to Bachelor’s Degree programs. Universities may specify higher levels of achievement in certain subjects for admission to specific programs. For example, a Bachelor’s Degree in Fine Art or Music might require a specified level of achievement in the corresponding NSC subjects. Similarly, programs like a Bachelor’s Degree in Science might necessitate Mathematics and Physical Sciences as part of the subject requirements.
See also  A Guide to Northern Cape Rural TVET College

In summary, transitioning to university studies with an N6 National Diploma involves not only having completed your N4 to N6 courses and the requisite 18 months of approved work experience but also understanding and meeting the specific admission requirements of the university and program you’re interested in. Each university may have distinct requirements, so it’s essential to consult directly with the institutions for guidance on using your National Diploma for further studies, especially if you’re targeting a Bachelor’s Degree program.