How to transfer traffic fines to another person in South Africa?

In South Africa, traffic fines are typically issued to the registered owner of the vehicle. However, if you want to transfer the liability of a traffic fine to another person, you generally cannot directly transfer the fine itself, but you can transfer the responsibility for payment or nominate the driver responsible for the offense. Here’s how it can be done:

Nominate the Driver:

  1. Check the Fine Details: Obtain the details of the traffic fine, including the fine notice number, date, and details of the offense.
  2. Contact the Relevant Authority: Reach out to the issuing authority, which might be the local traffic department or the issuing municipality. You may visit their offices or contact them via phone or email.
  3. Submit Nomination Forms: Inquire about the process for nominating another driver for the offense. There might be specific forms or procedures for this purpose.
  4. Provide Information: Complete the nomination form with accurate details of the person who was driving the vehicle at the time of the offense. This might include their name, address, driver’s license details, etc.
  5. Supporting Documents: You may be required to provide supporting documents or evidence to support the nomination, such as a sworn affidavit or a statutory declaration confirming the driver’s identity.
  6. Submit the Nomination: Send or submit the completed nomination form and any required documents to the issuing authority within the specified timeframe. Make sure to keep copies for your records.

Important Points to Note:

  • Not all traffic fines may allow for the nomination of another driver. Some fines are issued to the registered owner regardless of who was driving at the time.
  • Be mindful of the deadline for nominating another driver, as missing the deadline could result in further penalties or actions.
See also  How long does it take to get a learners permit in SA?

Always confirm the specific process and requirements for nominating another driver for a traffic fine with the issuing authority, as the procedures might vary between different municipalities or traffic departments in South Africa.